Six Things to Be Happy About in Spring
1. The hostas started the week as little spikes in the ground. In just the past two days they've stretched to six inches tall, their green and white striped leaves unfurling like flags.
2. All the leaves so bright and new.
3. Bird song.
4. A detour that takes you through unfamiliar farmland, a stretch of land so lovely that the toddler chirrups from the backseat: "Sure is pretty."
5. An old man shaking his finger at the cluster of red-orange tulips in his yard, accusingly, as if they were children that needed to be chastised. "See those tulips! Those tulips there! Are those not the most beautiful tulips in the world!"
6. Everything could have gone wrong and nothing did.